20120901

A riding lesson



Today, as I was on my bike, making the difficult steep climb up the hill like I do every Saturday morning, I thought to myself: Instead of thinking about how much more upward distance I still have to cover, I should just focus on every single step I make. That change of mentality did make a difference. Instead of being concerned about the future, I was more focused on the now. The task became less daunting because all I was thinking about was just one next step.  My capacity for enjoying the ride was also increased. The singing of the birds, the caress of the breeze and the fragrance of the plants, which usually were screened out, made their ways into my consciousness, and what a pure joy it was.

So the lesson I have learned today is that by taking one small step at a time, I will get the big thing done in a less intimidating and more enjoyable way.

No comments: