20090923

Truer than Fiction



These pictures of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge bear some eerie resemblance to a scene in the film “The Age of Stupid” where the Australian landmarks were engulfed in flame due to extreme weather.

The pictures actually show scenes of the dust storm which wreaked havoc in Sydney, crippling the transportation system and causing the worst air pollution since records began in the 1970s.

Here are some of the things the residents said:

"The sky was bathed in a red hue, and I must say that the thought did cross my mind that either my eyes were playing up on me, that something catastrophic had occurred...”

"It was like being on Mars... I haven't been there, obviously, but I imagine that's what the sky would look like."

"It did feel like Armageddon because when I was in the kitchen looking out the skylight, there was this red glow coming through."


According to ABC News, such dust storms are rare over Sydney, and came along with other uncommon weather conditions across the country in recent days, such as hailstorms, an early spring mini-heatwave, wildfires, etc.

Another five-minutes-to-environmental-midnight situation. Maybe the futuristic Armageddon scenes in “The Age of Stupid” should not be dismissed as being merely fictional.

No comments: