20100521

Wurst is worst


During a buffet lunch with my six-and-a-half-year-old nephew last month, I noticed that every time he came back to the table, he would com back with another helping of sausages. Remembering that his mother had said he shouldn't eat too many sausages, I eventually had to stop him.

Good that I did. According to a recent study by Harvard University, eating just 50g of processed meat, such as sausages, ham, luncheon meat, salami, bacon, a day raises the risk of heart diseases and diabetes. The researchers speculated that the increased risk is due to the salt and preservatives in the processed food.

As a vegan, of course I do not eat sausages. But sometime ago, I used to use vegetarian sausages to make hotdogs. Fortunately, I soon stopped, as my common sense told me that even without meat, those sausages probably are not any better than their non-veg counterparts. The colouring and flavouring, apart from the salt and preservatives that the above-mentioned study highlighted, definitely do not seem healthy.

The fact that my nephew is somewhat overweight may also have something to do with his food preference.

Next time you have a craving for a sausage or die wurst, think twice.

No comments: